A blocked sewer drain is not just an inconvenience, it can also cause very serious problems for your toilets, bathtub, washing machine, showers and sinks if left too long without being fixed. It can also be a health and hygiene issue.
How do I know if my sewer drain is blocked?
Luckily, it is usually easy to identify when you have a blocked sewer drain, which means you can have a plumber attend to it as quickly as possible. Some signs that your sewer drain may be blocked include:
- Wastewater reappearing in your sinks, shower or bathtub;
- A bubbling or blocked toilet (especially when you are using another sink or shower); and/or
- Foul odour coming from your drains.
These issues occur because when a sewer line is blocked up, the water cannot flow freely through it the way it was intended. Instead, the wastewater flows back up through the pipe and exits at the lowest most point, which is usually the drain in the shower.
What causes a blocked sewer drain?
- Tree roots are the primary cause of blocked sewer drains. Tree roots are attracted to the moisture contained in the drains and thrive due to the constant supply of water. Clogs caused by tree roots are more commonly found in older homes but take place in newer homes as well. Tree root growth can also occur outside of the pipe and over time the sheer pressure of their weight can cause the pipe to collapse in on itself.
- Un-flushable items such as wet wipes, sanitary products and paper towels are becoming increasingly more common as the cause of blocked sewer drains. Most of these products will feature a warning on their packaging that they are not safe to flush – and there is a good reason for that!
If your sewer is blocked, it is important that you act quickly. A blocked sewer drain means that the sewerage has no way of departing your plumbing system and this can result in raw sewage flowing back up through your drains and into your home.
A blocked sewer drain is not to be taken lightly and could cause significant damage to your home and your health if not acted upon quickly.
If you suspect there is a clogged sewer drain in your home:
- Turn off the water main, which will normally be located outside your house.
- Call Plan B Plumbing – a licensed, experienced plumber – right away.
Plan B Plumbing Solutions
When it comes to plumbers, finding one you can really trust can be a stressful task. Based in South Oakleigh servicing Chadstone and surrounding suburbs, Plan B Plumbing Solutions are well known and trusted, already having made a name for themselves as an industry leader in the plumbing sector.
Offering a range of services, and a zero-dollar call out fee and free quotes, Plan B Plumbing Solutions are committed to getting the job done right. That’s why Plan B Plumbing Solutions should be your plan A when it comes to your plumbing needs.