Carbon Monoxide Testing

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odourless and invisible gas that is poisonous to humans. There is a natural concentration of carbon monoxide in the air that doesn’t harm us, but when that level rises, it can begin to cause serious damage.

Found naturally in bushfires and volcanoes, carbon monoxide also comes from unnatural sources including tobacco smoke and car exhausts as well as gas heaters and appliances.

Carbon monoxide in Australia

Carbon monoxide levels throughout Australia’s smaller towns and cities are low enough that they won’t cause harm to our health. In some of our larger cities, carbon monoxide levels may be slightly higher and could potentially cause harm.

Why carbon monoxide testing is important

Because of the potential harm that carbon monoxide can cause – and because we are unable to detect the poisonous gas ourselves – it is important for us to bring in tools and professionals who can detect it for us.

By testing for dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home or workplace, you can prevent the poison from causing harm to yourself or others and take action to eliminate high levels if they should arise.

Signs carbon monoxide could be making you sick

If carbon monoxide levels build up within your home or workplace, you and those sharing your space are likely to get sick. If not detected soon enough, the toxic gas can negatively impact your health long-term or even cause death.

Recognising the symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning could help you to save yourself and your family before the gas has a chance to cause irreversible harm. Keep an eye out for any of the following:

  • Dizziness
  • Drowsiness
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Fatigue
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion
  • Vomiting
  • Muscle weakness
  • Loss of consciousness

Testing for carbon monoxide in your home or workplace

The efficient team at Plan B Plumbing will test any and all of the appliances in your home that could be a potential source of carbon monoxide. These may include:

  • Gas or kerosene heaters
  • Gas-fueled appliances or space heaters
  • Gas ranges and stoves
  • Gas or wood-burning fireplaces
  • Any fireplaces lacking ventilation

When inhaled in large amounts, carbon monoxide can be fatal. In order to prevent any harm from coming to yourself or anyone else sharing your space, it is vital that you bring in a professional to test the carbon monoxide levels in your home or office.

Keep your family safe and the air clear in your home or workplace with Plan B Plumbing