How To Turn Your Water Off In An Emergency
In an emergency, the ability to locate your water main quickly and efficiently in order to turn it off can help you prevent disastrous damage to your home. If a pipe bursts in the middle of the night, you’ll need to be able to turn off the main quickly. But, where is it?
LOCATE YOUR WATER MAIN TAP:
Your water main can fly under the radar and escape your notice. We always recommend checking the location of your water main whenever you move into a property so that you know where it is in an emergency.
So, where should my water main be?
- MODERN SUBURBAN HOMES
- Most commonly, the water main is inside the front boundary fence
- OLDER TERRACE/SEMI PROPERTIES
- In terrace or semi properties, the main may be shared with adjoining properties. Those with galvanised iron pipes (not copper) may not have a meter.
- NEWER PROPERTIES
- Newer properties may have a remote read meter device
- APARTMENT BLOCKS
- The water mains are commonly shared between all units, however if you do have an individual water main, it may be in the carpark or services area with your apartment number marked.
- OFFICES & FACTORIES
- Generally, the water mains may be shared and are usually at the front of the complex. If you have an individual meterm it should be near your business unit’s front door.
- PROPERTIES WITH RECYCLED WATER SYSTEMS
- If you have a recycled water system, you should have two purple metres. One is for drinking water, and the other is a separate recycled water meter.
TURN OFF THE WATER MAIN:
Next to your water main will be the tap. Turning this tap off will restrict the flow of water that is threatening to flood your property.
- Generally, you will need to turn the tap clockwise to turn it off
- Make sure you turn it off firmly
- The tap may be difficult to turn. If you’re struggling with bare hands, try putting on gloves and/or using a spanner, shifting wrench or pliers.
CONTACT PLAN B PLUMBING:
Congratulations, you’ve successfully prevented any more water entering your property and have stopped the impending water doom!
You’re now ready to contact Plan B Plumbing who will identify the cause, fix the problem and have your water running in no time. We service properties throughout South Oakleigh, Oakleigh, Oakleigh East, Chadstone, East Malvern, Glen Iris, Bentleigh and South Eastern Suburbs!